Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Politically Incorrect!

Hmmm...oh boy! Where do I even begin? I guess I should start out by saying that I am one of the most politically incorrect people I know. It's not that I try to be rude or hateful or that I want people to dislike me or cringe when they see me coming, it's just that I don't see the point in sugar coating the truth. I don't care if you're red, yellow, black or white. I don't care if you're fat or skinny. I simply use those adjectives to describe people, because it's easier than saying "The young woman behind that older man", especially if you're standing in a crowded room and there are a bunch of young and old people mingled together. Having said that let me now say this maybe I should start being more aware of what I say, since I have two young boys, one of which repeats absolutely everything...even things I don't remember ever saying.
I might have come to this revelation the day my son tried having a conversation with a "darker skinned" child that lives down the street. It went something like this:

Ryan: Hey, little black boy want to play?
Jeffery: What?!
Me: (completely mortified) Ryan, his name is Jeffery.
Ryan: (getting an inch from Jeffery's face and staring into his eyes) Hey, Jeffery what color is your skin?
Me: (jumping out of my seat) OKAY...who wants to blow bubbles?

Now, the thing here to remember is that Ryan is only three and super curious and alert. He picks up on every difference and similarity and asks a billion questions. He was not being mean at all, he was just wondering what made him and his friend different colors. So, how do you go about explaining that blurting that stuff out is rude without making it seem like one is better than the other? Here is another example. Maybe, you'll understand more of what I'm getting at.

Ryan: Hey, dad, Victor the Great is my black friend.
Brad: Ryan, don't say he's your black friend, just say he's your friend.
Ryan: Why? Is it bad to say black?
I enter the room.
Ryan: Hey, mom, Victor is peach!
Me: (looking at Brad) Great! Now we've taught him that being white is good and being black is bad:-/

So, now do you understand why I am a little leary about trying to teach my son that noticing differences is not okay?? Don't get me wrong if he were to ever make fun of the differences I'd be all over that with discipline. He is definitely no angel, like when my mother came over for dinner and he called her a "Whore-Goose"...I can promise you I have never ever said that and he was disciplined on the spot!...or the time when he announced to everyone that "Nana wasn't beautiful" (Nana is my very sensitive MIL, thank God she wasn't there to hear that one!). But, he isn't a little demon, either. He is just a little boy learning the ways of this crazy, confusing and hypocritical world. Hopefully, I can help him navigate it, while keeping him from getting shot or ending up in jail.
So, here's to all the politically incorrect people out there trying to make their way in this ever confusing "politically correct" world.

6 comments:

  1. THANK you! I've been saying this kind of crap for a while. I'm glad somebody had the brass cahones to freakin' affirm it. YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Thanks. I'm glad at least one other person agrees with me:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whore goose?! Ryan and his crazy one liners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously! Have I ever said whore?....um, maybe...have I ever said SILLY goose?...yes, all the time, in fact...BUT, I have never tried to join the two...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, your article was so great, Have you ever thought of writing a book? Keep a journal I think there is book in your future. As for Ryan, I think you have a budding comedian in the works there. I have always told my kids, "you don't have to let everthing that comes into you head come out your mouth. Alas, not all of them adhered to my wise counsel lol. Your a wise young lady..Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bev, people keep telling me to write down all the funny stuff he says. I might just start doing that. He's full of "gems"...lol. And, since I'll have three kids soon I could probably write a novel! It'll give me something to do thirty or so years down the road when I'm an empty nester:-)

    ReplyDelete